Tutorial: Foamboard house

The place to discuss Terrain and show off your Twisted Gaming Tables
Trystero

Re: Tutorial: Foamboard house

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Step 24. Balcony planks. I actually did this step prior to doing the outside wall planks. It'll depend on how you've designed your house whether you'll have a balcony anyway. Cut into the foam in straight lines about 1-2mm thick as you did previously with the door. I bordered mine first by cutting a 1mm edge which I'll have as the same colour as the rendered wall below. Then I cut the planks and scored them as with the door to give a wood grain effect.

Also, don't do what I did and glue the next level down before you've cut out the door recess for the top level...as you'll see later I had do it flat :(
Attachments
DSC_0679.JPG
DSC_0679.JPG (80.22 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Here are some more pictures of the vertical and horizontal planks.

In the second picture here, note that I didn't follow the advice I gave about keeping the planks thin, the middle plank on the right hand side and vertical planks on the side facing the camera are noticeably thicker - I will be carving this back later. Also the one at the top on the right is coming off - this is going to happen when you rush this part and try to stick too many on at once.

The glue will tend to warp the balsa a little and make it bend away from the foamboard. This happens because the moisture from the glue on the wet edge expands the wood whereas the dry, unglued side does not, so overall the balsa bends. You can pre-emptively (or after applying glue to the balsa) bend the balsa the opposite way to.counter this effect.
Attachments
DSC_0684.JPG
Step 23. Continued
DSC_0684.JPG (88.49 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DSC_0683.JPG
Step 23. Continued
DSC_0683.JPG (84.79 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 7:38 pm

Step 25. Balcony railing. This was probably the trickiest part, I don't really have a solid way to do this. I cut roughly the same length struts of square rod balsa (10-13mm long) and glued them upright. I kept the railing as one whole piece and just made a nick on the outside where I wanted it to bend (for corners), that seemed to make it easier to manage. But trying to keep the railing up and held in place by the supporting struts (which were also still being glued in place :| ) and gluing it all in place was very difficult. This part was all a bit of a piecemeal job and I got very lucky that it even ended up as well as it did.

Step 26. Add another level and some more roofing. I actually had this additional level traced out (using the outline of the previous level (I'm currently regretting not numbering these levels). I also decided to do a little roof section on this level as well using the method I described earlier for roofing.
Attachments
DSC_0685.JPG
Step 25.
DSC_0685.JPG (88.18 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DSC_0686.JPG
Step 26.
DSC_0686.JPG (94.13 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DSC_0687.JPG
Step 26. Continued.
DSC_0687.JPG (80.25 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Step 27. More roofing. Make sure it's overhanging the level below, cut these blocks to whichever angle you like as with the earlier roof description.

I decided I wanted an old-timey style sunlight, I'll need to fill it later to smooth it out to represent glass but I have carefully cut out the frame at least for now.

That's it for now, I've not done anything else on it, but later I'll post more additions such as how to create supporting beams for the first storey and roof sections, how to neaten up the rendered sections and how to create and add roof tiles. Then much later we can tackle painting - unless someone else wants to give it a go first - BUT make sure you test your paints on scrap foamboard first!! You don't want all that effort to go to waste in a pile of melted foam.

Keen eyes will have noticed that I didn't add in a door on the second level...I had to do that post gluing the roof down and adding the rail. I do not recommend it.
Attachments
DSC_0691.JPG
Step 27.
DSC_0691.JPG (88.28 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DSC_0689.JPG
Step 27. Continued
DSC_0689.JPG (116.63 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 7:51 pm

So where it stands:

Once again I apologise for the sideways pic...stupid phone :(
Attachments
20170529_062526.jpg
End of phase 1 of the tutorial
20170529_062526.jpg (88.57 KiB) Viewed 452 times

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 pm

So very awesome! I love the contrast between the brickwork and plaster!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Artificial Soul

Post by Artificial Soul » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Seconded! The plaster cracking and revealing the brickwork is superb!
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks guys, it'll come down to how well I can paint it I reckon :P

I did some more work and here's what it's looking like now, I'll pop up some more tutorial style steps for how I got to this stage:
Attachments
DSC_0717.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG (81.3 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Artificial Soul

Post by Artificial Soul » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:45 am

I'm a firm believer of drybrushing your way to victory!
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Phase 2
Alrighty, let's begin phase 2 of the tutorial; cleaning this house up a bit and adding decorations. For the record, I'm making this up as I go, I prepare parts of the model and then if it works I report it, but I've not done this before now, so take my instructions with a grain of salt and feel free to veer off track and do your own thing. This tutorial will not be assessed.

For this next part you should probably get a hold of a hot glue gun if you go the plastic/styrene option for roof tiles.
You can do them in cardboard but they probably won't be as robust or nice to paint.

Step 1. Roof tiles. As mentioned above, you can do this with cardboard but I would recommend against it; cardboard frays and is damaged easily by knocks and liquids. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to have needed some kitchen cutting boards at short notice. I went to the supermarket and bought a pack of super thin ones from Woolworths I think for around $8. They were rubbish as cutting boards, but deep down I suspected they would be and that I'd end up doing something crafty with them instead.

It might be hard to see from the pic but it's about half a mm thick bendy plastic. Plasticard or styrene sheet would also do the job, heck even a big ice cream container lid would work.

Size up the part of the roof against the thickest lowest section of the roof base that you want clad. Cut a rectangle that length by about 12.5mm wide (high?).

We then put the piece against where we want to place it and cut off the corners to match the angle of the roof. As you can see in the picture I've cut the piece accurately to size but then slid the piece downwards to create overhang. I found it easier to cover the left and right edges with a cap when they were not right up against the edge; 1-2 mm away worked best.
Attachments
DSC_0720.JPG
The dodgy kitchen cutting boards I got
DSC_0720.JPG (70.03 KiB) Viewed 425 times
20170606_153537.jpg
Step 1.
20170606_153537.jpg (94.59 KiB) Viewed 425 times
DSC_0722.JPG
Step 1. Continued
DSC_0722.JPG (88.49 KiB) Viewed 425 times