54mm Launcelot - sculpting step-by-step

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
SebDG

54mm Launcelot - sculpting step-by-step

Post by SebDG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 am

Hi guys,

I'm going to show the step-by-step process as I sculpt the 54mm version of Launcelot, as A) I thought it might be interesting to some of you, and B) it'll hold me to account for regular progress updates! :ugeek:

I'll keep all the pics together here so that they can be seen all at once, but I'm also going to post them bit by bit in the Facebook group, 'Twisted- Minions of the Engine'

If you've got any questions I'm happy to discuss anything about the process :)

---------------------

Here are the first 3 progress photos, showing the construction of the armature.

The first photo shows how I started with basic wire twisted together, trying to get the proportions correct.

The 2nd photo shows some slight bulking out of the skeleton, especially adding the ribcage and pelvis. This helps to adjust the pose and get it correct before continuing. I've used Tamiya Quick Type 2-part epoxy putty

3rd photo shows some more bulking out of the armature, adding some more volume to give a solid understructure and bigger surface for the clay to grip onto when it's applied in the next stage.

Now I'm ready to cover the armature with clay, and start the real sculpting! :mrgreen:

SebDG

Re: 54mm Launcelot - sculpting step-by-step

Post by SebDG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 am

Now it's clay time!

The first photo shows a thin layer of clay attached to the armature I showed in the last set of pics. The clay is attached to a still-sticky thin layer of epoxy putty used like 'glue' over the armature.

Second photo shows the rough bulking out 'sketch' of the anatomy. Even though this will all be covered by clothing and armour, I still think it's important to get the basic volumes and shapes of the body established underneath. You can then use this 'underlying anatomy' to help guide the shapes of the clothing going over it.

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm

54mm Launcelot progress report!

You can see in these pics how I have started layering the basic shapes of the clothing/armour over the anatomy.

I've just started establishing some folds in his breeches/jodhpurs - maybe a touch aggressive with the folds t the moment, so I might tone it down...or maybe I'll leave it nice and bold because that's always more fun for painting! I'll see what happens as I progress. :)

This is helpful, posting the pics here for you guys is putting the pressure on to make sure I make regular progress! Be sure to poke and prod me if I haven't posted any pics for a few days :P

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Beware the Ides of March...and the Launcelot 54mm sculpting progress update!

Not a massive amount of progress as I've been busy organising Twisted Wave 2 production stuff, but I've managed to make a few more inroads. Adding the helmet under Launcelot's arm became a bit of a drama because the first time I stuck it in place I realised it wasn't quite in the right position, so I had to carefully rip it out and try again!

If you've been following these WIPs you might notice that I have a particular way of sculpting where I like to get all the global shapes in place first, then go through several stages of 'refining the details'. I prefer working this way (as opposed to finishing parts section by section) as I think it's easier to step back and see how the overall sculpt is progressing. And also because I am a bit clumsy and prone to accidentally squishing or damaging details as I work on different parts, so it's safer to wait till the end to finalise everything! ^_^

I've added a 'pencil pic' at Kathy's request to show the scale :)

Math Mathonwy

Post by Math Mathonwy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 am

He's looking fantastic! I love how the helmet is actually big enough to fit his head which so often isn't the case with minis. Pants creases also look very believable - good stuff!

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks Math, glad you're enjoying it so far :)

Time for more WIPs! :ugeek:

I've started on some detailing, and decided to add some more volume to the trousers/breeches/jodhpurs/whatever they are :mrgreen:

The stuff around his upper chest and neck is still rough because I'm now getting ready to start on his face, yay! (and this means I'll probably end up mushing the surrounding area while I'm sculpting :P )

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:49 pm

Happy Easter everyone Image

I've managed to do some work on Launcelot's face. Here are some WIPs of the process so far.

The clay is still wet and I still have some more tinkering to do, but it's getting there! It's tricky to find the right expression for him. I want him to look quite thoughtful and melancholy due to his despair at being trapped: Launcelot's will is subsumed by the Engine, and many of his actions dominated by its power. I want to keep the expression subtle but I possibly need to exaggerate it just a touch more...not sure yet but I'll see how it feels.

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Finally time to bake! :mrgreen:

At this point the clay is still 'wet', but now it's time to bake the sculpt - the final detail parts can be added over a hard surface. Because the model needs to be designed for production, most of these remaining parts of weapons and equipment need to be separate components. This means it's much easier to sculpt them separately and then create proper 'joins' with the hardened (baked) body.

Walquist

Post by Walquist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:16 am

This is just amazing, SebDG! Seems simple enough when you show a step-by-step like this, but I bet it goes a lot of work and patience into this.