Posting pictures?

The place to talk about whatever takes your fancy
Pippa

Posting pictures?

Post by Pippa » Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Can someone give me an idiot guide on how to post pics to topics. Have tried everything and can't get it work.
Very simple instructions please :D

PeteDG

Re: Posting pictures?

Post by PeteDG » Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Pippa,
The easiest way is to host them on an external site.
Two examples are:
Photobucket: http://photobucket.com
imgur: http://imgur.com/

Once you upload your image to the hosting site you will see a note regarding a "direct link".
Here's an example from Imgur:

Copy that link and write your post.
When you are ready click the "add image" button at the top of the posting window.
It will add two tags [ img ] and [ /img ] with the cursor flashing between them. Paste your link url in there and you are done.

Does that all make sense?
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm

I remember how confusing I found this way back when I first started posting on a forum! It's an unexpectedly roundabout process.

If you need help pippa, let us know and we can walk you through it. It's easy once you know what to do, there are just a couple of little steps in the process.

The most important thing to remember is that when you have uploaded your image to a hosting site like imgr or photobucket, the image link you use to post here ends in '.jpg'

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 am

Are you sure about that?

I've used other pic formats on other forum sites using the [ img ][ /img ] format without any problems.
Nil nos tremefacit.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed May 10, 2017 5:44 am

I'm not sure about the jpg thing. I imagine whatever the site that you upload to will cope with would work (jpg, gif etc).
I normally use jpg files but that's just what my phone/camera take so it's what I use.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 am

Oh yes yes I didn't mean it like that! Of course any image file extension will be fine, whether it's .jpg, .gif or whatever else. I only meant that it's a common trap I've noticed for people to post the wrong type of link inside the image tags, ie. one of those non--direct-image links that photobucket etc can give you sometimes.

Sorry to be confusing, my fault! :oops: :mrgreen:

Pippa

Post by Pippa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Thank you
Finally got around to looking at this and got it to work thanks to the idiot proof instructions, much appreciated!

Haven't been on the forum for a while but now I have my toys will have to check more often. Am hoping for lots of inspirational pics as people start painting things.