Why did you choose your faction/s?

The place to talk about anything Twisted related that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Artificial Soul

Why did you choose your faction/s?

Post by Artificial Soul » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Kicking off the general chat subforum with a general chat question! (Who'd have seen that coming?!)

Which faction, or factions do you find yourself drawn to/did you choose? Are you drawn to a particular theme such as the Gentlefolk, or does one particular mini from that faction strike your fancy. Does the artwork capture your attention, or the playstyle?

I'm genuinely curious as it's something I never really ask and probably should. For me, I like the aesthetics of the Gentlefolk as I've always loved constructs, be they golem, machines, or confounding contraptions. Backed for the Servants expansion as that had more Gentlefolk and mainly for the gamekeeper. Playstyle wise (going from the blurb in the rulebook pdf), I'm unsure on how I'll go with them as I'm more of a 'Run Up and Poke Enemy With Stick'/'Get 'im, lads!' kind of tactician (less tactical genius, more tic-tac genie).

So, why did you pick a particular faction and what do you like best about it?
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

KlewB

Re: Why did you choose your faction/s?

Post by KlewB » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm

So the model that really drew e in with Twisted was Launcelot, I saw it somewhere; in a forum or maybe just while scrolling Twitter and it led me to the kickstarter page. That alone sold me on the Gentlefolk, then I saw the Urkin. Models like the Shrike sold me on those too :P So I ended up with a bit of both, and plenty enough to run a game when they arrive >:D

Gonzoangel

Post by Gonzoangel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I actually cannot remember what faction I chose!

......"runs off to see if he can find it.......

Artificial Soul

Post by Artificial Soul » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Ha, Launcelot is a sweet mini too! Again another reason why I chose the servants expansion box :lol: For what it's worth I opened my pledgemanager to add in the Dickensian starter so I can demo/draw crowds/get people into the game (and get some sweet urkin minis to paint).
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

orlandothetech

Post by orlandothetech » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 am

I like them all (not a surprise with the artists and sculptors involved), but the Egyptians and their canoptic jars drew me in most of all especially the fantastic Avatar of Set

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:52 am

What an interesting topic! Thanks for starting it!
I don't have to choose a faction (oddly :lol: ) but if I did I think I'd probably go Dickensians. I just like the idea of the Urkin and, not to point to fine a point on it, I'm not a terribly competitive gamer and prefer fun over winning so the Urkin fit right in.
Having said that, a terrifying list can be built using just Urkin or "Urkin based" characters. Remember - Ollyver is techically an "Urkin" too in that he is a Twisted street urchin. Build a list with him, Feygin a bunch of Urkin and perhaps someone like Dawg & Flea & Ratcatcha and it would be a bit nasty - although somewhat "Alchemantically Challenged". I suppose Nancy is quite thematic with Urkin too though :-)

The Servants are also interesting. They are more versatile than the Dickensians so you can very your play style by choosing different Characters.
You can go all stabby/bashy by selecting the Blacksmith, Miner, Lancer & Flowerseller perhaps backed up by Tesla, Launcelot & either M'Dusa or Nightingale. On the counter you can go more shooty by picking the Sailor, Gamekeeper and Highwaywoman along with Nouveau, Gretel & again M'Dusa or Nightingale.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

owen matthew

Post by owen matthew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

I love literally every faction, but I just can't afford to buy into everything! Prehaps in time! ;) I chose the Dickensians because their aesthetic is unique in table top, and physically they range from tiny models to normal, and all the way up to giants, so they are quite Dynamic on the table! Excellent designs with some literary inspiration made it impossible for me to pass up...

I am investing in Guild of harmony next, as they are just beautiful and line up well with the Dikensians.

I can see myself moving straight into Gentle folk and Egyptians, I just love the world Peter and Seb created...

Great topic!

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 am

It's really interesting hearing all of your thoughts about the Factions! :D It's hard for me to pick a favourite, I've always had a soft spot for gribbly-goblins so I love the Dickensian urkin, bit the Servants Gentlefolk have some super cool concepts, and of course the flavour of the Egyptians is very unique, too...not to mention the stuff coming up for Guild of Harmony and Atlantis!

Something very interesting you may not know is that our Kickstarter backers are pretty much evenly split between all the Factions: in the Kickstarter rewards (that we are madly packing right now!) we have roughly equal numbers of all the different Faction Boxes, which is really cool and encouraging because it means there will be a nice split of different Twisted Companies and players out there :)

Artificial Soul

Post by Artificial Soul » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pm

owen matthew wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am
I love literally every faction, but I just can't afford to buy into everything! Prehaps in time! ;) I chose the Dickensians because their aesthetic is unique in table top, and physically they range from tiny models to normal, and all the way up to giants, so they are quite Dynamic on the table! Excellent designs with some literary inspiration made it impossible for me to pass up...

I am investing in Guild of harmony next, as they are just beautiful and line up well with the Dikensians.

I can see myself moving straight into Gentle folk and Egyptians, I just love the world Peter and Seb created...

Great topic!
Ha, thanks! I've never been a part of a forum in it's early days, so I plan on getting involved :) I think I'll get something from each faction in time, depending on how quickly I can paint the previous. Also- Seb, Atlantis?! Sounds philosophically fishy :lol:

Glad to hear there's a roughly even split between factions, it'll make for cool match-ups and it'll be great seeing all that variety!

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing the cunning plans you all come up with. I have had a few good ones shown during testing but the bigger player base should reveal some great ones!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches