The News and Previews Discussion Thread - The Latest!

For discussion of all the shiny new stuff
Artificial Soul

Re: The News and Previews Discussion Thread? (Horace)

Post by Artificial Soul » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:41 pm

So-bad-it's-good humour is one of the many services I provide, free of charge. :)

Serious question though- are we getting Karkinos with the Atlanteans? Having a giant steampunk crab would be awesome! I have a hunch that there's going to be a bunch of mythological constructs for those mythological beasties. A hippocampus would be nice (mythical creature, not the brain section, or even the seahorse genus, though the latter would be cool).
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:35 pm

There are a bunch of ideas kicking around for them at the moment.
We'll get into proper development mode for them soon and we'll have more info along shortly!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Megagribix

Post by Megagribix » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm

That teaser pic is awesome, I can't help but speculate and postulate!

The Servants of the Engine - some mean lookin' bloke, he has an eyepatch, perhaps a steampunk Nick Fury?
The Dickensians - a weird fly eye creature, this looks fantastic, a fast one that can fly no doubt
The Egyptians - this looks bizarre, a 4 legged Sphinx-like creature, very freaky
The Guild of Harmony - Scarecrow to join Dorothy? Looks like he's a literal scarecrow with a cross stick of wood for arms - brilliant
The Atlanteans - a big buff ancient soldier, but there's something enormous on his back! I can't work it out

Alpharius

Re: The News and Previews Discussion Thread? (Canopic Edition!)

Post by Alpharius » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

WOW!
Update #101

Aug 13 2017
Delving Into Egypt

Hi Backers!

Time for another update. This time I though you might like to see the work we are doing on the rules for the Egyptians.

It is the Canopic Jars that make the Egyptians play so differently to any of the other Factions. They can impart great power to your Characters but using them is not without risk. Read on to find out a little more about how the jars will work.

Please bear in mind this are still WIP rules and are undergoing playtesting so some details may well change before they are published. I've also left a lot of detail out - these rules cover 4 pages in the book...

Canopic Jars

Carter and Indigo find the Canopic Jars

Each living member of Carter’s expedition team bears a Canopic Jar taken from the great canopic chamber in the temple of Set built by Senusret (more about him later).

The initial intrusion into the chamber caused the Node to activate and with the surge in activity the sentient spirits in the held in the Node saw the chance to live again. Each of them occupied one of the Canopic Jars present and called to a living host, bonding with them using tendrils similar to those the Node itself generated.

It is through this connection that the spirits move out into the world, living a kind of parasitic half life. They are able to perceive a kind of shadowy, ethereal version of reality through their hosts.

The host can try to access the spirit inhabiting the Canopic Jar, harnessing their skills and talents for their own ends. This is not without risk as the spirit of the inhabitant of the jar is often powerful and desiring of nothing more than taking full control of the host to truly live again. It becomes a battle of wills, the host trying to keep the spirit subdued whilst the essence of the ancient being tries to rise.

The strong of mind can keep the spirit contained but times of stress or a momentary lack of concentration can allow the personality in the jar to take control.

The Canopic Jars carried by the members of Carter’s team are not occupied by any given essence. They are links to a pool of spirits held in the Node and it is only when the jar is accessed that the owner knows which spirit is resident at that moment in time.

How the Canopic Jars work in-game.

When you start a game of Twisted and you are playing the Egyptians you will have a deck of Canopic Jar Cards - this is the "Canopic Deck". There will be around 20 different cards in a full deck and, at this stage you will get 10 in each of the box sets of Egyptians.

These cards are shuffled and placed face down on the table.

Any Egyptian Character who has the Canopic Jar Special Ability can choose to try and access their Jar during their Activation. This is not an Action but must be tried at the start of their Activation.

Let's have a look at a Canopic Jar Card.

Each of the cards represents one of the ancient personalities held in the spirit pool of the Node of The Engine and each card gives different bonuses and provides different special abilities. Each personality also comes with its own drawbacks.

Accessing a Canopic Jar

In order to benefit from their Canopic Jar a Character must first Access the Jar. When a Character declares this intention the top card from the Canopic Deck is turned over and this is the spirit currently available to the host.

A Difficulty is printed on the card with a Characteristic noted after it in brackets. This is the Difficulty of Accessing the Jar and the relevant Characteristic for the check. In Nebetah's case the Difficulty is 13 and a Characters Finesse is used as the modifier to the D20 roll.

Should you equal or beat the required number the personality in the Canopic Jar is Accessed and all the benefits (and other effects) apply immediately.

The Card

The card gives a brief rundown on the personality and lists the Characteristic Changes he or she provides to their host. In this case Nebetah increases a Character's Speed, Close Combat Attack and Alchemancy scores.

You can also see a note regarding the Special Abilities she provides. There are three listed but the (2) next to the heading means that when Nebetah is accessed the Character may select only two of the three. Once selected these cannot be changed.

Accessing a Canopic Jar is not without a downside. The spirits in the Jar will always affect the Character in some way, their personality and desired melding with that of the host. In Nebetah's case the host may not disengage from Close Combat whilst Accessing the jar. Nebetah loves bloodshed!

This brings us to the next important area of the Canopic Jars...

Dominance

The longer a Character remains connected to their Canopic Jar, the more the personality in the jar becomes enmeshed in their psyche and the more likely it is that the spirit in the jar overcomes that of the host.

The base Difficulty to Disconnect from a Canopic Jar is printed on the card and, as before, the relevant Characteristic for the check is also shown.

Beneath that you see a series of check boxes, some with numbers underneath them and, importantly, the last one is red (and we all know red is bad!). One of these boxes is marked off each maintenance phase after a Character connects to a Canopic Jar.

The personalities in the jars want nothing more than to possess their host and live again, even that kind of half life is better than their existence in the spirit world. Each Maintenance phase the host must make a check vs the Difficulty shown, applying the penalties for being connected for multiple turns.

Should a Character remain connected to their Canopic Jar and reach the red box they are automatically Dominated. Once a Character has been Dominated then the rule printed below Dominance comes into play as the personality in the Jar takes hold.

Disconnecting

If a Character is not yet Dominated he or she may disconnect from the Canopic Jar during their Activation. This is not an Action.

If the Character has been Dominated then the Dominance Check must be made and, if successful the Character may disconnect. This process will leave him or her Stunned however!

When you disconnect from a Canopic Jar the Canopic Card is returned to the Canopic Deck and the deck is shuffled. If the Character then accesses his or her Canopic Jar again a new card, with a new personality, is drawn.

Indigo falls afoul of Nebetah's willpower!

As you can see above Indigo has failed her Dominance check (note the "D" marked on the card). She now must move to engage in Close Combat to the exclusion of all else! Not so bad for a Character like Indigo who is a good fighter but for an Alchemancer it might be a very different story! In either case though it does rather limit the tactical flexibility of the Character connected to the Jar.

I hope you found this update interesting. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Other News

Just in case you were wondering our website at www.dementedgames.com is temporarily offline as we renovate our webstore in preparation for the main release of Twisted to the world. You can still reach us via email: [email protected] or message us on Facebook.

Forum

Don't forget we also have a dedicated Twisted Forum: http://forum.dementedgames.com feel free to join us there. We check it several times a day so any questions should get answered quickly and you can also find the electronic files for the rules and the most current FAQ & Errata.

There will be another update along soon for your information and enjoyment.

Cheers
Pete
LOVE that update, LOVE how canopic jars work, and can't wait to see more on the Egyptians!

So, would this also be a good time to ask (again) for that Avatar of Anubis?

(My favorite Egyptian God)

(Yes, I have a favorite Egyptian God!)

(Probably because of Jeff Dee's artwork back from the 1st Edition AD&D book "Deities and Demigods"!)

And yes, please put the rule in for only one avatar per side at a time! :)
Nil nos tremefacit.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks Man!
Regarding the Avatar - we'll see what we can do. I STILL have that book tucked away - Jeff Dee was my favourite artist at the time!

The Avatars will be interesting. I agree only 1 per list - we don't want Avatar spam! The way they are likley to work fielding more than one would be impractical in terms of points and with regard to how they operate on a fairly basic level. More on that soon...

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Glad to hear that other Avatars are still in the 'could happen' section!

There are so many cool versions you guys could do - seeing as every miniature to date has been fantastic, I can't be alone in wanting to see more of the bigger 'showcase' types.

Just imagine...

Horus

Thoth

Ra

Osiris
Nil nos tremefacit.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 am

Man... I forgot how cool that art was :D

Alpharius

Re: The News and Previews Discussion Thread? (The Lion King is (almost) here!)

Post by Alpharius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Update #102

Sep 4 2017

Shipping news, plus a new character for Twisted: Pascal du Lyon!

Twisted Rewards Shipping News

Thank you all again for being so patient with Peter and I while all your Rewards are in transit! It's been a long journey but we've almost made it - here is the latest news:

USA: The cargo ship has now made port in California! Once the pallets of Twisted boxes are unloaded and clear customs, they'll be sent to our distribution partner and shipped out to you.

UK and EU (Europe): The cargo ship is still steaming away towards the UK and should make port by mid-September. We've organised with our distribution partner in the UK to ship out your boxes as fast as possible once they've arrived, so we'll let you know as soon as that happens!

Other International backers: Your Rewards boxes have now been packed and are ready to be shipped along with the Australian boxes, very soon. Boxes will be shipped via DHL Global Mail.

Australia: I'm finishing off the last of the Australian packing and we should be processing them for shipment very soon - I'm hoping Australian backers will receive their Twisted Rewards by mid-September. We will let everyone know the moment your individual Rewards boxes have shipped from the fulfilment centres - it won't be long, now!

Pascal du Lyon: one of our CREATOR characters!

While we're waiting for all of your Twisted goodies to arrive, Peter and I thought you might like to see one of the new characters we've been working on: Pascal du Lyon!

Pascal du Lyon was developed by working with Peter Lyons, one of our CREATOR level backers from the Twisted Kickstarter! As one of our CREATOR backers, Peter Lyons was able to choose his own idea for a new character to add to Twisted. We then worked together with Peter to develop the idea and backstory for his character, create the concept artwork with one of our artists Nicolas Amoroso, and then sculpt the miniature itself!

Pascal du Lyon - final concept

Here are some words from our CREATOR backer Peter Lyons about developing Pascal:

Why back Twisted?

I remember first seeing the Twisted models and instantly having a rush of nostalgia. Ollyver Twist was always a favourite and it was crazy the way steampunk was bringing new life into the characters. During the Twisted Kickstarter campaign I used to wake up each morning and check if we had hit another stretch goal to see what childhood character had been given the treatment next - Vinnie Jones and Tinkerbell blew me away. I remember hoping for a steampunk King Kong, Yu-Gi-Oh / Gambit or Tarzan and Jane. Half way through the campaign I took the plunge and upgrade to the CREATOR level and have not had a regret since.

Working with the Twisted Team:

The process has been an absolute pleasure. It started with me sending off some keywords and a couple of google images, the a back and fourth conversation narrowed it down to 4-5 key design ideas (I have to give Peter Overton credit for the still). This led to some rough sketches that we again debated before a final concept was decided upon. Fast forward to Cancon 2017 and the pose debate started! There were 6 options with each having their own merits, I went against the grain and made the guys lock in the pose I wanted, I just loved the nonchalant gun in hand and the staggered legs. As a few brews were shared at Cancon and the WIP sculpt shots started flooding in, it was clear everyone was really happy.

Why Pascal?

Prior to being contacted by Peter Overton my plans chopped and changed hourly. I eventually reasoned that if I am this committed I may try to 'embody' myself within the miniature and become part of the Twisted world. So what defines me as a war gamer...? A lot of acting the fool (and occasional trolling), alcohol and a love of RNG (Egg of Quango life). In a nutshell, Pascal's lore follows the lines of 'was loved and famous --> mucked up --> now the butt of jokes and living life as a jester'. The lionskin cloak in my opinion is a really good representation of a once proud beast striped back into tatter - fittingly my last name is also Lyons. The back mounted alcoholic still is where this model really encompasses his steampunk elements: effectively nobles could bring Pascal along on a hunt, carting him along as their personal drinks bar (Pascal may or may not sneak some drinks in himself!) His necklace represents my better half wanting a say, and the gun just seemed like a good mode to translate his Ranged Attack elements onto the table top: A highly volatile and unreliable gun being fired by a highly intoxicated man.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Check out these WIP photos of the concept art to show how Pascal's character was developed:

An early sketch by Peter Overton, to nail down the basic idea and story for the character

Early thumbnails by Nicolas as we started developing the concept proper

A rough sketch stage before the final concept

In the next update we'll show you the finished sculpted miniature for Pascal du Lyon!

-sebastian
Can't wait to see the finished sculpt - I'm sure it will be a stunner! :)
Nil nos tremefacit.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:31 am

I love it - to me it's almost "Jailer of 10,000 paces" standard!

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 am

As expected, the Pascal du Lyon sculpt itself is a thing of beauty! :)
Update #103

Sep 19 2017

Wave 1 shipping status update, and the Pascal sculpt revealed!

Wave 1 Shipping status report:

Australia: The first big batch of boxes was shipped yesterday (Monday), and tomorrow I'm planning to ship the second big batch/all remaining Australian orders! This means some of you should already be receiving your Rewards boxes, and all the Australian boxes should have arrived by the end of next week (fingers crossed!).
UK/EU: The ship has made port and the Twisted pallets are due for delivery to the fulfilment centre in the UK. They're aiming to ship out your boxes by next week!
USA/Canada: The Twisted pallets were delayed in customs but we're chasing it up and they should be delivered to the fulfilment centre any day now. As soon as the pallets have arrived the North American boxes will be shipped out straight away.
Rest of World: I've shipped about half of the other international orders, and all the rest (including the really big ones!) should be shipped out in the next couple of days.

Pascal du Lyon sculpt!

Last update I showed you the concept art for a Pascal du Lyon, a new character developed together with Peter Lyons, one of our CREATOR level backers for Twisted.

Check out the amazing job Lux Thantor has done sculpting the miniature for Pascal! I think this one is brilliant - maybe Lux's best yet for Twisted. He captured the unsteady-yet-arrogant drunken pose perfectly, and really got that rage and angst into the face. It's a beautifully executed piece, very faithful to the concept art, and also looks like a real blast to paint - I can't wait to have a crack at it myself!

-sebastian

Any update on when the rest of the Guild of Harmony miniatures might be available in metal, or we still in "too soon to say" territory here?
Nil nos tremefacit.