Charge!

The area to discuss all things Activation, Action and Movement related
AGN1964

Charge!

Post by AGN1964 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 am

A model may make a double move and enter Combat only
as a charge move. This movement must be in a straight line
and must bring you into Contact with another model
First, I assume you can move into close combat, but you do not get the charge bonus if you just move.
charge.jpg
charge.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Now some charge questions.
1) I assume this is a legal charge. Bullseye full-moved twice in a straight line into base to base contact.
2) I think this is legal too. A Move is up to 4", so this looks like a valid double move.
3) This is dodgy since Bullseye could have covered this ground in one move. But again, 2" is a valid move and by doing it twice, he could not do a useful second action this turn. I would play this as a legal charge.
4) This clearly violates the "in a straight line" part, so I expect you say this is not a charge. But Bullseye did make two moves and example (3) shows 4" in a straight line is enough to get up a good head of steam and get charge bonus. I still expect a "no" for this.

Finally a related question about run.
You may not run and engage in Close Combat.
Would (4) be a legal run into Close Combat? It sounds like no. Or does the quoted rule mean "you cannot get the charge bonus if you run into combat". But it does not sound like that. So if it's a hard "no", what exactly happens? You run into base-to-base contact but there is no Close Combat. Or you cannot run into base-to-base contact and must stop a little short?
More details and more minis on my blog: http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/

PeteDG

Re: Charge!

Post by PeteDG » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks for the question. I'll just re-read the rulebook and post my "official" answer shortly :-)
Oddly - even though I wrote the rules - I actually don't remember them all that well. Lots of half remembered versions floating about I my bonce :lol:
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 am

Ok - here's my anwer :D

1, 2 & 3 are all legal charges - absolutely.
1 and 2 are the simplest as the Character had to expend both Actions to get into contact.
With example 3 the Character need have expended only one Action but could choose to Charge which would use both Actions and gain the bonuses of said Charge. It would also be an option in this example to spend an Action in another way (such as shooting your intended target) before moving to engage your foe of choice.

4 on the other hand is not a legal Charge as you say. Nor could you actually engage in Close Combat from that position. Apart from a Charge it must be a single Move Action to get you into base to base. In this circumstance you must stop short of contact and cannot engage at all.

Here is my logic for this: Most missions in Twisted require characters to be quite mobile and to get around the tabletop. If I allow Characters to Run into Close Combat freely then it would become a little too easy to lock an opponent down and prevent a free flowing game - especially with faster Characters. Maneuvering to get into Close Combat is rather fun I found and you get an almost "hunting" feel sometimes as Characters close in on a foe from a few directions to prevent him or her escaping!
The other, less important, difference is that you get a +1 on your Defence against Ranged Attacks for Running and a -1 on your Defence against all attacks when you Charge. I kinda view Running and that kind of careful sprint you see soldiers do in old WW2 footage where they run across a street and Charging as a more headlong rush.

Having said all this though let me say that we are willing to consider feedback from our Community. If you guys, as a group, would prefer to be able to Run into Combat or find the current rule a bit funky then please let us know. Whilst Seb and I created Twisted it is now your game and we will always listen to and consider feedback from our players.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

AGN1964

Post by AGN1964 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am

I am not suggesting change. I just want to be sure I understand the rules, and part of that is becoming familiar with your language and how to interpret edge conditions and rule omissions.

I agree that not running into combat is "funky" (I normally use quirky) but there seems to be a good reason for it.

Thanks for the detailed answer.
More details and more minis on my blog: http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/