Tutorial: Foamboard house

The place to discuss Terrain and show off your Twisted Gaming Tables
Trystero

Re: Tutorial: Foamboard house

Post by Trystero » Mon May 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Step 12. Ok, let's make some bricks.
With the scalpel now we are going to make incisions perpendicular to the long lines. I like to start in the centre of one of the sections and work out whether I'm going to cut the smaller sections on either side in halves or thirds. This will make the bricks approximately the same length across, that's the sort of uniform look we're looking for. Then on a section either above or below, I place cuts halfway along the thickness of the bricks I just made. This is harder to explain than I thought - just look at the pictures :P
Things to keep in mind, as you get closer to the end of the wall, try to finish with a completed brick on one set of lines - use the pictures again to see what I'm talking about. Also, when you make the incisions gently open the cut up by rocking the blade from side to side (in the direction of the flat sides of the blade), this will help soften the other edges of the bricks. Lastly, you can take the pencil and push it into the corners (T-junctions) of the bricks to take the edge of the brick corners. Also, don't worry about making it too perfect :D
Attachments
DSC_0626.JPG
Step 12.
DSC_0626.JPG (67.46 KiB) Viewed 442 times
DSC_0631.JPG
Step 12. The scalpel angle here is deliberate to show how to squash the sharp edges of the bricks
DSC_0631.JPG (81.62 KiB) Viewed 442 times
DSC_0632.JPG
Step 12. Note how I've made two extra cuts to make the three bricks across. Depending on the width of your wall, you may need to cut them larger or smaller and increase the number of cuts to make the bricks a reasonable size (twice as wide as they are high).
DSC_0632.JPG (73.53 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Mon May 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Step 13. Make alllllll the bricks.

Step 14. Once all the bricks have been made, you can start to do some damage to them. You can take off the surface of a brick to give it the look of a cracked or fractured brick. To do this slide the scalpel tip into the side of a brick that has drawn your ire. Keep the flat of the blade close to the wall and lever off it to pop the surface of the chosen brick off. Don't worry if it doesn't come off nicely, the rough look will look better later. I'd recommend you choose bricks that are either already damaged or blemished in an unrock-like manner.

Step 15. Do some more damage. Here you can start pressing pointy shapes into the wall surface. Try all sorts of shapes but try to rotate them and not apply the same angle too many times otherwise you'll get very familiar and repetitive damage patterns.
Attachments
DSC_0637.JPG
Step 13.
DSC_0637.JPG (81.8 KiB) Viewed 442 times
DSC_0639.JPG
Step 14.
DSC_0639.JPG (86.73 KiB) Viewed 442 times
DSC_0640.JPG
Step 15. You can see the popped out brick from the previous step here.
DSC_0640.JPG (82.46 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Step 16. Take the semi-flattish rock that I failed to mention at the start of this tutorial and lightly press it into the wall and roll it around against the wall surface. For best results find a rock that has seen some time in a river, but not so much that it is super smooth - you want some variation.

Yeah, I know my rock doesn't look too flat, the side you can't see and the area in shadow are fairly flat.
Attachments
DSC_0642.JPG
Step 16.
DSC_0642.JPG (88.54 KiB) Viewed 442 times
DSC_0644.JPG
Step 16. Continued
DSC_0644.JPG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Mon May 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Step 16 - continued. Keep doing step 16 until you're happy with the results.
Attachments
DSC_0649.JPG
Step 16. Continued again
DSC_0649.JPG (82.15 KiB) Viewed 442 times
DSC_0650.JPG
Step 16. More continuation
DSC_0650.JPG (82.49 KiB) Viewed 442 times

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue May 30, 2017 5:46 am

That looks like so much fun! I must have a go when time allows!
Thanks so much for going to the effort of this tutorial - it is appreciated!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

Simply awesome stuff in here - wow!

Thank you very much for taking the time to make this tutorial.

I'll definitely be giving this a go myself, eventually! :)
Nil nos tremefacit.

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Step 17. Time for another level. So for this I wanted to make it a bit different, but maybe for your first house keep it plain and simple with a rectangle. We are aiming to have this level larger than the one below it to make it interesting - if it's the same length and width as the stone level below it it'll look a bit bland. You can either trace the stone level against another block of foam and then extend the size of it as far as you want (5mm on each side is probably a good amount) or just take the measurements of the the stone and draw a rectangle - that method is a bit trickier to get 90 angles unless you use a protractor or corner of paper. If you decide to do a regular rectangle for this level skip step 18 and 19.

For this particular house I wanted to try showing different techniques so I used a large spare piece with a massive chunk taken out that I then intended to cover with a small roofed section.

Step 18. Here, with a ruler, I worked out how long a piece of foam I needed to cover the gap. Keep in mind that you want some decent overhang here to simulate eaves - it'll look right later when we cover it in tiles. After cutting the piece I needed I then cut that piece at a diagonal angle from one long edge to the other on the opposite side.
This is difficult to do as you can slip easily and cut yourself balancing the piece on its edge, I would also recommend holding the side that you intend to throw away as you will end up pinching it quite firmly to hold the block in place. Once finished you should end up with a piece like the one shown now in place. Don't glue it in just yet.

Step 19. Now we need to carve this piece on either side to make the roof section a little more interesting. I did this about 10mm in from the left side at the top, angled towards the full width of the base on the left. I then ended up having to cut another piece to put on the other side to cover up the gap and replicate the effect I'd done on the left - but if you measure the original piece better than I did you shouldn't have this problem :P

I'm really hoping the pictures will cover for my poor verbal descriptions. If necessary ask me for more clarification.
Attachments
DSC_0653.JPG
Step 17.
DSC_0653.JPG (76.41 KiB) Viewed 429 times
DSC_0655.JPG
Step 18.
DSC_0655.JPG (70 KiB) Viewed 429 times
DSC_0656.JPG
Step 19.
DSC_0656.JPG (72.64 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 7:06 am

As a continuation from previous steps, here's a better picture of the overhang.

Step 20. Now, if you followed the slow method of cutting multiple times as described way back around step 4, then you should have a relatively smooth surface to work with. We are going to mess this up a bit so find an area that you don't like and we want to scratch of about 1 mm of depth. This issuing to look like the rendering has fallen off the bricks below. Similar to popping the faces off the larger bricks, use the scalpel flat against the foam, slide it into the foam about 2-3mm then lift the flap of foam off.
Attachments
DSC_0658.JPG
Overhang pic
DSC_0658.JPG (79.89 KiB) Viewed 428 times
DSC_0662.JPG
Step 20.
DSC_0662.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 428 times
DSC_0665.JPG
Step 20. Continued
DSC_0665.JPG (67.28 KiB) Viewed 428 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Step 21. Miniature bricks. These are going to follow the process from before with the larger stone bricks but you'll need to use the tip of the scalpel and take your time a bit more with these ones. I aimed to have these bricks about 1-1.5mm high and 2-3mm wide.

Do the long strokes first, going in a max of 1mm. Then using the back of the blade, run it lightly through each slice to enlarge the gap between brick lines. Wiggle it up to 45 degrees either way to get more rounded brick edges.

Step 22. Make the vertical cuts. Be careful with these as it's easy to overshoot the mark and cut into other rows. It's also easy to 'punch' the foamboard if the blade isn't sharp, so consider sharpening the tip before trying this.
Attachments
DSC_0668.JPG
Step 21.
DSC_0668.JPG (72.92 KiB) Viewed 423 times
DSC_0670.JPG
Step 22.
DSC_0670.JPG (70.71 KiB) Viewed 423 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Step 23. Start applying wooden planks. Get creative with this, I mostly glue them to outline this level and as support underneath. You can do diagonals as well if you like, it's a bit trickier and you'll need to cut 45 degree angles on the ends of the planks to fit them against the horizontal and vertical planks.

I've done these ones with bits of balsa, the thinner the better so they look like the rendering and bricks have been built around the wood.

For the bottom ones I just stuck them directly on the overhang, trying to get a little overlap so as to come out from the wall.

For the vertical planks I probably could have done them a little thinner, or at least overlapped them so as to look like a single plank, but I didn't, I'll just have to hope when I paint it it looks alright.
Attachments
DSC_0672.JPG
Step 23.
DSC_0672.JPG (74.46 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0675.JPG
Step 23. Continued
DSC_0675.JPG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 421 times
DSC_0681.JPG
Step 23. Continued
DSC_0681.JPG (68.67 KiB) Viewed 421 times