Foamboard table

The place to discuss Terrain and show off your Twisted Gaming Tables
SebDG

Re: Foamboard table

Post by SebDG » Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Whoa this looks AMAZING Trystero - I completely missed seeing this before, I only just discovered this thread!

The thing I like best is the way you've got all those different angles: nothing is at right angles, everything is off square and it makes it look super interesting and absolutely fantastic.
Tauwolf wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 pm
....and PLEASE keep posting pics!
Yes I agree, this is too cool not to show off to everyone! :ugeek: :D

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Hey thanks guys :D I will put some up tomorrow, I have been continuing rather steadily, got a couple of nice additions to share :)

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Sat May 13, 2017 7:54 am

Update:
So this is pretty much where I got to attend start of this week, I've done a bit more since then and will work on it today and put up a few more pics later.

With regards to the random angles, credit for that goes to Capt B and their mordheim table that you can find on pintrest and google images. As I didn't know where to start I used their table for inspiration and figured by the time I had done 2x2 feet I'd have a good idea as to what I wanted in the design for the rest of my table.

As you can see in these pics, the blocks of wood are recessed and interchangeable, allowing the table to remain fresh by alternating their position. I have other plans to do more houses obviously but also a clocktower with scaffolding, a hedge garden and some industrial pieces.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to provide answers :)
Attachments
DSC_0533.JPG
DSC_0533.JPG (110.19 KiB) Viewed 889 times
DSC_0532.JPG
DSC_0532.JPG (118.39 KiB) Viewed 889 times
DSC_0539.JPG
DSC_0539.JPG (120.51 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Sat May 13, 2017 8:03 am

Here are a couple more. The two blank patches on either side of this end of the bridge will have buildings, and I'll probably put some form of makeshift bridge (read planks) between the one that's currently there (with the door outlined in wood) over the stairs to the building I'll place on the left of the bridge. I'm not sure how well that scatter terrain shows, but they are just little crates I cut from cubes of foamboard, they'll need a bit of weight later as they are very flyaway in there current loose form :P
Attachments
DSC_0538.JPG
DSC_0538.JPG (121.1 KiB) Viewed 889 times
DSC_0529.JPG
The watchtower mid-construction
DSC_0529.JPG (112.23 KiB) Viewed 889 times
DSC_0531.JPG
The watchtower after completion
DSC_0531.JPG (100.83 KiB) Viewed 889 times

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sat May 13, 2017 9:26 am

Wow! That's amazing man. I love it! It would be a fantastic board to play on! I can imagine some cracking fights to take and hold that bridge!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks Pete :)

Here are a couple more pics, I wanted to get the cluster of houses done to get a better feel for the overall balance of cover and lines of sight. I'm a little worried it might be too busy but I guess I'll have a better idea once I start playing on it - especially when I pop it up at table height.

Infinity play probably wouldn't be a great comparison as the range of shots is very different, so maybe I'll just try to proxy my PanO for Twisted models in the meantime. In one of these pics (in my next post) there is a tyranid warrior with a 4cm-ish base, to give people an idea of how big a larger Twisted models base would look on the terrain.
Attachments
DSC_0556_1.JPG
DSC_0556_1.JPG (106.41 KiB) Viewed 873 times
DSC_0555_1.JPG
DSC_0555_1.JPG (131.33 KiB) Viewed 873 times
DSC_0554_1.JPG
DSC_0554_1.JPG (124.29 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 17, 2017 11:20 am

Continued
Attachments
DSC_0557.JPG
View of the houses from the other side
DSC_0557.JPG (119.41 KiB) Viewed 873 times
DSC_0558.JPG
Put some rooftops structural bases on, I'm hoping they aren't too steep that models can't stand on them, but I can always make the slats/tiles grippy somehow
DSC_0558.JPG (107.72 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Artificial Soul

Post by Artificial Soul » Wed May 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Hot damn! It's really coming together Trystero! The well is a nice touch and I do love the bridges :)
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed May 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Oh my goodness! We'll need a full tutorial on how you do these buildings!
This is looking absolutely fantastic. I'm coming over to play on it someday!

You are right about the ranges of weapons. Most weapons in Twisted are fairly short ranged in comparison to a lot of games. Closed up, short range firefights are to be encouraged :D I was keen when designing the rules for it not to become a "stand off and shoot" game by default. Ranged attacks are good and very useful but in general you will despatch a foe faster up close.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Thu May 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks again for the compliments guys :)

I'd be happy to put up a tutorial on how I'm doing the houses, I'll make it a new forum topic soon. I'm certainly no expert though, mostly just making it up as I go and/or using models and processes I've found on YouTube and pintrest to prompt for ideas.

If people want to have a go I highly recommend just getting a hold of some insulation/foamboard and getting creative with it - provided you take proper precautions like cutting away from fingers, using cutting mats and wearing a breathing mask with particulates around etc.

Sounds like a plan Pete :D though I suspect it's going to be a fair while away before I've got it up to a painted display standard haha - I still haven't tried the pva primer layer yet :P