The Original Twisted Table

The place to discuss Terrain and show off your Twisted Gaming Tables
PeteDG

The Original Twisted Table

Post by PeteDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi all,
At Gonzoangel's suggestion I thought I'd start this topic.
I'll go through - as best I can the construction of the small table we made for Cancon 2015 (I think).
It was only ever designed as a stop gap one for the first convention until the awesome stuff from Miniature Scenery became available. Bits of it still get used from time to time but the whole table is rarely used any more.

Step 1: Design
The first step when building a table is to decide what you want. I was wanting to try and get the enclosed feeling of the back streets of London but allow a large open area so players could get to grips with the game and minis easily.
After a few rough sketches this is where I ended up:

Step 2: Layout
Having decided on the rough position of the buildings I needed to get to grips with making the spacing work. I visited a local discount store and picked up a large, cheap picture frame to be the edges of my table. I wanted it to be enclosed and easily transportable and also able to withstand the rigours of a convention so the buildings needed to fit snugly and be help in place somewhat.
Here is the sketchdown on the frame I did with a mini placed on it to help get the scales right:
You'll notice that it's been designed to be a little off square to the board. This helps it look more natural as Seb suggested in the post about basing minis:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17

Step 3: Construction
Having planned the table I now begin building it. I started with the large raised walkway at the rear as this will define much of the structure of the table.
I got some 3mm Foam Core Board - this is expanded foam sandwiched between two layers of card. I makes it fairly strong and it can be glued using wood glue (the while smelly stuff we call PVA here in Aus). The structure is supported by small triangular corner bits on the inside which help hold it together and make it stronger. These I generally just chopped out of any offcuts.
You can see the plan has already drifted a bit when I realised that the thin layer of buildings at the back of the original plan would be very tricky to make work and I wanted to make more of a feature of the Inn that would be up there.
The steps also needed to be made a bit longer to accomodate the height of the walkway and the size of a miniature's base.
The blue tape you can see is a product made for painting walls and windows. It's sticky but not so sticky you can't peel it off without damaging the structure beneath.
If you find the tape you have is a bit too sticky simply pop the piece of tape on your jeans or shirt before sticking it on your terrain and the fluff that sticks to it makes the tape less tacky (and as a side bonus de-pills your clothes!)

Next post we'll discuss the buildings. If you have any questions feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to answer.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Gonzoangel

Re: The Original Twisted Table

Post by Gonzoangel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Great start Pete, exactly what I was after.
Thanks. :)

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Continued:
After having basically laid the board out my next step was to gather materials to give the buildings and board texture and life. I visited my local hobby stores and picked up all kinds of textured plasticard, some brick, come cobbles and other interesting sheets:

I also gathered balsa wood in both thin sheets and square rods that I could use to detail the buildings in that old English wattle and daub style.
Here's the first one I built.

It was probably the hardest one as it had to nest against the walkway and have the far side in this image out of square to accommodate the frame.

Here's another shot. As you can see I've had to strap down the balsa base for the roof. It kept wanting to pop back up. You'll find with balsa sheets that they have a grain and bend much easier one way than the other. You can use this to your advantage! If you want a stronger structure use the sheet cross grain and if, like in this case, you want the sheet to bend work with the grain.
When I use the square rods I always shave the edges off to make them look worn and worked.

Here's the same building with the first layers of detail added. I cut some card strips to act as planks and used pins to be the bolts holding them down. The door and window I sculpted from Super Sculpey firm but, whilst they look cool it probably wasn't worth the effort :lol: The Dormer windows were built as separate pieces and glued on.

The Board Grows
After having built the first building to a good stage I started to mass out the next buildings:

I noticed at this point that the board was getting very enclosed and I decided to rotate the right hand building to sit like this, leaving an open square:

It looked a lot better but the problem I now had was an annoying mis-fit where the angled edge didn't quite match up to the walkway in its new orientation.

Some careful cutting and rebuilding would be required...

More to come :D

Gonzoangel

Post by Gonzoangel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm

This is REALLY interesting.

Tauwolf

Post by Tauwolf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Loving this! Thank you!

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Ok - On with the story:

Having fixed up the gap as shown last time with much cutting and shutting I began to build the buildings that form the back of the board:

These were kinda designed to sheild all the stuff I'd have behind them like spare dice, minis, counters, templates etc from view and give the board more presence from the front.

Having built most of the board in the basic sense it was time to start adding the fun textural stuff. I was lucky enough to be friends with Maria & Ross who loaned me about 20 Hirst Arts moulds! I also scored a roll of what is probably the worst wallpaper in the world but which happened to have a fantastic cobblestone texture to it!

The Hirst Arts stuff and the textured paper added a real life to the table! I was now beginning to see how it would look.

I now began to add more stuff, windows, doors and roof tiles to the buildings. The tiles are just textured card I scored from work called "Conqueror Laid". I cut it into thin strips and then, using scissors snipped the strips into tiles and glued them on. Sebastian had also supplied me with some great bits and pieces (the plastic chimneys and a whole bag of coggy bits!). I also raided Maria's extensive bitz box for lamps and widgets to add here and there. With any terrain it's the smaller details that bring it to life.

More tiles added and a handrail for the upper deck on the right hand building from balsa & toothpicks (the ones with the cool knurled ends).

I was rather happy at this stage and took this atmospheric shot :lol:

I continued adding details until I was happy and then it was time to move on to painting! That will be the subject of my next post!

Don't forget - if you have any questions just ask! This board was build a few years back so I don't have a complete photo record but I'm happy to "tutorial" anything you want!

Cheers
Pete

Gonzoangel

Post by Gonzoangel » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Lovely stuff Pete, keep it coming.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates on this! Been kept rather busy doing other (more important) things that I thing you'd probably all rather I be doing :lol:

Gonzoangel

Post by Gonzoangel » Mon May 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Not a problem Pete, totally understandable.