Twisted Painting Guides: Bloodrage Urkin Part 1 - Painting the Flesh

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
SebDG

Twisted Painting Guides: Bloodrage Urkin Part 1 - Painting the Flesh

Post by SebDG » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:56 am

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a series of Twisted painting guides over the coming weeks, giving some insights into the step-by-step painting process as well as showing a few tips and tricks, and other ways to achieve some special effects.

The first painting guide is now up - it features the Bloodrage Urkin from the Dickensians!

Part 1 looks at the step-by-step process of painting the flesh.

You can see the 'Bloodrage Urkin' Painting guides here:

Part 1: Painting the Flesh

https://www.dementedgames.com/pages/painting-article-01

Part 2: Creating Texture

https://www.dementedgames.com/pages/painting-article-02

-------------------------------------

Don't forget to enter the Twisted Painting Competition! It's an online competition - just submit photos of a painted Twisted miniature and you'll receive a 10% discount prize as a reward.

Enter here: https://www.dementedgames.com/pages/paintingcompetition

Megagribix

Re: Twisted Painting Guides: Bloodrage Urkin Part 1

Post by Megagribix » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 pm

This is great Seb.

Is this the beginnings of painting guide from the kickstarter pledge? If so, bloody fantastic. If not, still bloody fantastic! ;)

The detail, technique and thought processes you go into is very enlightening, although I get lost in the big blocks of text especially when reading back over the steps. I feel some short summary dot points for each step would be really helpful for me.

e.g. You could stick this after the step 1 text, but before the pictures:
Remember: ....or Summary: .... or In Short:
  • Undercoat first
  • Thin basecoat 1:1 with water
  • Paint 2 or 3 thin layers

SebDG

Re: Twisted Painting Guides: Bloodrage Urkin Part 1

Post by SebDG » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 pm

That's a great idea - I think adding a brief breakdown in point form could work well. Good thinking! I'll see if I can do that for Part 2, and maybe I can find some time to revisit Part 1 and make some tweaks/add some extra bits like you suggest.

Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the article! :D

And yes, this is the start of the Kickstarter Painting Guide - but I've decided to expand things and do a whole series of guides to share, to hopefully give you all some inspiration to get painting :)

AGN1964

Re: Twisted Painting Guides: Bloodrage Urkin Part 1 - Painting the Flesh

Post by AGN1964 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 am

I agree these are really useful! I can't wait to learn how to paint the little squares (and how do I paint small circles???)

But if you are taking suggestions ...

One thing I find missing from many advanced tutorials, is some measurement of the number of actions performed or effort required. For example, a tutorial might say "I applied several layers to complete this highlighting." If you are beginner, using premixed shade/base/highlight triads and dry brushing, you only use one highlight layer with one color, so "three" layers sounds like several. But the expert painter might have meant 8 different highlight layers. "I applied 8 layers with 3 different (successively lighter) colors to complete the highlighting" is conveys far more information.

Similarly, time can be used. "I wet blended these two colors, working in small sections, to complete the flesh tones" is more clear if you say ""I wet blended these two colors, working in at least 10 small sections, to complete the flesh tones. It took me 2 hours, but practice has made me extremely quick. It used to take 4-5 hours to wet blend this much skin." These changes gives the reader a really clear idea of what's involved and also how they might improve with practice.

"I applied thin glazes to tint the base color a little more blue." could be "I applied thin glazes to tint the base color a little more blue. The glaze was so thin, the first coat makes hardly any change and it required between 3 and 6 coats for the regions of different intensity." Not only do I now know how many times to repeat this step, but I will know immediately if my glaze has been mixed to thick.

I am guessing that quantifying what you do will make very little difference to the time it takes to write the article, compared to the time already put in planning the work, painting the mini and taking the photos, etc, but I think it adds a lot of useful information. Accuracy is not critical; I don't care if you used 8 layers when you said it took 10. But knowing "many layers" is about 8, not about 2, is critical to understanding what you mean. Don't assume we have some idea of what is going on, ha,ha, ha. (Seriously, I would not be reading the article if I could do this already!)

Please don't think I am being critical, as I said, these tutorials are great as is.

(In the defense of some authors, some people do this. I once read an article by Mike McVey where he said he applied 10 glaze coats for the effect he was describing and that he could see no difference for first 3. This was eye-opening for me.)
More details and more minis on my blog: http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/