Seb's Splendiforous Sculpting Show! pg2. Urkin Nimble and Porker

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
threezerostudio

Re: Seb's Splendiforous Sculpting Show! pg1. GF Flower Seller

Post by threezerostudio » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 pm

I don't know which sculpt I love most in this game, every single one seems to up the game!
I do know that I adore seeing these WIPs as I find them utterly fascinating. I honestly don't know how you get so much detail into something so small. To know that these are hand sculpted rather than digitally makes it even more astounding. I am in awe!

Can you explain what the different mediums bring to the sculpting process? I believe you use a Polymer blend for the main body but some details are done in Tamiya Quick Set (or similar name). Why do you switch for certain things?

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying the Twisted miniatures! :D

There are a few different reasons I sometimes switch between sculpting mediums. The bulk of the miniature is sculpted with the grey-coloured clay - this is my preferred material as I find it really nice to use (the brand I'm using is Super Sculpey Firm, but there are other brands that are similar: for example, BeeSPutty is nice, and many other sculptors use Fimo Classic).

The advantages of using the clay: it's not sticky; it gives a sharp edge and sharper details than epoxy which can be a bit 'rubbery-looking'; it stays workable and 'wet' until you bake it in the oven, so you can keep working as long as you like.

The reason I switch to 2-part epoxy (I'm using Tamiya Quick Type here - the bone-coloured stuff) for certain parts:

It's much stronger/tougher than the clay, meaning it's good for thin or fragile components. This is a big point, because if a miniature is destined for production it needs to be strong enough to withstand the moulding process without breaking.

It's 'sticky' meaning you can use it to make/attach small details even after you've baked the clay. The clay isn't sticky so won't attach to the under-structure/armature wire/pre-baked surface by itself - I use the sticky epoxy as an 'adhesive' to stick the first layer of clay to the surface. Sometimes this isn't practical, though (especially for tiny parts), and it's easier just to sculpt a detail in straight epoxy.

Hope that makes sense!

threezerostudio

Post by threezerostudio » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Ah I see. That makes sense.
I’ve never used a polymer clay before so not sure how they behave but I do use the Tamiya Quick Type. It sure is sticky!
Mostly I’m doing conversions on plastic or resin so can’t bake anything, the Tamiya is fantastic for me being super impatient too, I didn’t realise it was stronger, I normally switch to brown stuff for anything that needs more support.

Thanks for your answer 😀
Hopefully I will get the chance at some point to try a polymer, I love the idea of infinite faffing!

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 am

Lovely stuff!

Incredible sculpting and beautiful paintjobs!

Really enjoying these posts!
Nil nos tremefacit.

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Urkin slashers! These two are nicknamed 'Nimble' and 'Porker' :mrgreen:

They're available to buy here:

https://www.dementedgames.com/collections/all-products

I don't have as many WIP photos of the sculpting process for these guys, but I did manage to find a few shots that might be interesting.

Let's start with Nimble. I really like the dynamic 'pole-vaulting' pose the concept artist Macs Gallo came up with for Nimble (hence the name!) - perfectly suited for a crazy urkin slasher jumping headlong at the enemy.

And the final Sculpt:

------------------------------------

Now let's look at Porker. Another awesome artwork by Macs Gallo, it's a classic subject with all the food - I always thought it was kind of creepy that he looks like a pig but is wielding a half-eaten leg of ham as a weapon...some kind of pseudo-cannibalistic thing going on!

And here's the final sculpt: