Seb's Splendiforous Sculpting Show! pg2. Urkin Nimble and Porker

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
SebDG

Seb's Splendiforous Sculpting Show! pg2. Urkin Nimble and Porker

Post by SebDG » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi everyone, Sebastian Archer here - I am one of the co-founders of Twisted. I am also in charge of overseeing the creation and production of the miniatures for Twisted! :ugeek:

I thought it might be interesting for you to have some insight into the sculpting process for the Twisted miniatures, as well as open a forum for any questions or discussion about sculpting. Plus, this gives me a chance to show off some of our work-in-progress (WIP) photos of the miniatures! :mrgreen:

I'll aim to update this forum thread regularly with more photos, but please feel free to post any questions, comments or discuss things amongst yourselves!

-----------------------------

Let's start with the Gentlefolk Blacksmith, one of the Servants of the Engine.

This one was sculpted by me, based on a fantastic concept by Macs Gallo (which in turn was based on a really cool early sketch by Peter!).

The grey-coloured material I've used to sculpt the miniature is a polymer clay called Super Sculpey Firm. The bone-coloured stuff is a 2-part epoxy putty called Tamiya Quick Type (and you can see I have mixed this together with the clay for some small parts, such as the right hand and hammer.)

I hope these progress photos are interesting to you! I'm very happy to answer any questions you have about the process.

CONCEPT

WIP SCULPT

FINAL SCULPT

Skullbokks

Re: Seb's Sculpting Show! pg1 Gentlefolk Blackmith

Post by Skullbokks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Love it!

Thanks for putting this up.

Math Mathonwy

Post by Math Mathonwy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Awesome! Such a nice concept for a thread - I love, love, love seeing this stuff.

I really love the Blacksmith in specific as well. Will probably be the first mini I'll tackle for Twisted. The sculpt is such an amazing combination of elegance and detail and whimsy and menace.

Can you give a guesstimate on how long the sculpting took you?

Also, were there places where you had to compromise or do things in a certain way due to the end result needing to be castable in metal?

I've been working with CMON's Dark Age minis a bit lately and though they are fine sculpts, the big difference to Twisted minis is that the Twisted ones seem to take much more into account the cast and the painter. A human-sized Dark Age mini might be in nine(!) pieces and the gluable joins be tiny while the Twisted minis are mostly in far fewer pieces and often have good pegs even (though I do tend to clip them and pin stuff anyway much of the time).

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 am

I hear your pain with Dark Age stuff. I have a couple of them on my painting bench at the moment. Gorgeous sculpts but a construction nightmare!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi guys, thanks for replying - great to know that this kind of thing is of interest to you! :D

@Math - I'm looking forward to seeing your painted version of the Blacksmith! To answer your questions, the amount of time taken is hard to estimate because it's usually done on-and-off over a number of weeks. But I'd say it's probably something around 40 hours.

And yes I certainly try to take the 'production aspect' into account with my sculpts, and also when I am overseeing the sculpting done by the other artists we have working Twisted. It's important to remember that these things need to work as metal casts, try not to make unnecessary cuts/joints, and be ok for the mould-making process (and even then, we usually need to make a few tweaks after discussing it with the casters!).

So using the Blacksmith as an example: the blacksmith comes in 3 pieces - the main body, the right arm, and the chimney backpack. When I was sculpting, I realised that with some slight modification of the left arm position, I could entirely avoid the need to separate the left arm for moulding. This was achieved by making sure there was no 'gap' left between any of the left hand/arm and the main body piece - you can see how I've managed to 'fill in' all this area, especially between the underside of the left wrist and the body, without compromising the design too much.

Apart from that, we also try to simplify some of the details that will be too small for comfortable painting (or that won't cast properly), and also try to make sure that nothing is too thin and fragile! It is a bit of a balancing act!

AGN1964

Post by AGN1964 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:03 am

Fascinating. I'd love to see a video of how you make those little details. They are so crisp.

I have no intention of sculpting a mini, but I might add a little steampunk detail to an existing mini.

SebDG

Re: Seb's Splendiforous Sculpting Show! pg1 Bloodrage Urkin

Post by SebDG » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Ok then - time for the next one:

BLOODRAGE URKIN!

This miniature was sculpted by Valentin Zak, who I think is one of the best miniature sculptors in the world now. The anatomy and musculature is amazing on this guy, and the details are super-crisp and perfect. It's really marvellous, I think!

Here's a glimpse into the sculpting process. The majority was again sculpted with a polymer clay (I'm not sure which brand exactly, I believe it may be a 50:50 mix of BeeSPutty and Fimo Classic, but don't quote me on that)

If any of you are keenly interested, I do have some WIP pics from other angles. I didn't want to swamp the thread with too many pics, which is why I've chosen these as a good 'comparison angle' for the process.

p.s. the painted version is by me - I took some painting WIP shots along to way so I'm aiming to make a painting article out of it, soon ;)

kotep

Post by kotep » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Absolutely incredible from start to finish!
I just showed my wife and she agrees.
Keep up the great work!!

AGN1964

Post by AGN1964 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:05 am

Very interesting. I still can't fill gaps properly.

This has inspired me to start my one.

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Ok everyone, time for another set of sculpting process WIPs :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments so far, hope you guys find this interesting.

This time we are back to another Servants mini: the Gentlefolk Flower Seller!

The fantastic concept is by Owen Aurelio (I posted some info and work-in-progress pics of the concept development on the Twisted Facebook page, if you're interested: www.facebook.com/TwistedDG)

And here's how the sculpt came into being! This is another one sculpted by me, using Super Sculpey Firm clay (the grey stuff) and Tamiya Quick Type epoxy (the bone-coloured parts)

I think you can sort of see in these WIP photos that I work by building up 'layers': first the basic anatomy, then the under layers of clothing, then the higher layers of clothing/equipment, and then the last layers of fine detail over the top.

The trickiest part of this sculpt was trying to get a natural, organic look for the 'flower petals' of her dress. The soft dress forms a great contrast against the sharp-edges mechanical body of the Flower Seller.

----------------------------------------

And here's the final sculpt for the Gentlefolk Flower Seller:

----------------------------------------

Painted version: