Pinning

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
AGN1964

Pinning

Post by AGN1964 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am

Can you guys give me some advice on pinning?

I've been in the hobby for 30 years and pin most of my models out of habit. It used to be important, but glues have improved a lot and I am a lot more careful with my minis than I used to be. Back in the old days we only had two part epoxy and minis were thrown in a biscuit tin between games. Now I super glues and an Ikea cabinet!

Do I really need to pin everything? The game keeper's pipe is too small and I am sure the teacher's poking stick will bend before the shoulder joint breaks.

What do other people do these days?
More details and more minis on my blog: http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/

PeteDG

Re: Pinning

Post by PeteDG » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:15 am

I Generally pin for gaming.
I actually just built a teacher last weekend and faced the same issue! What I did was to drill the arm at a slight angle to allow depth and then bend the end of the pin so it goes almost straight into the body. It does mean a slight gap which is easily filled with a nob of putty but it's a nice strong join.
For the Gamekeeper I drilled a small hole in the corner of his mouth and used the end of the pipe as a pin in itself. We did think about this at mould making but decided that it's better to let customers decide that way you can build with or without the pipe.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

AGN1964

Post by AGN1964 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:05 am

Damnit! I was hoping for a "Modern glues are great! Save yourself sometime!" answer.

The game keeper mouth hole is already drilled ;-) That pipe is just too cute not to assemble immediately.
More details and more minis on my blog: http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 am

The best glue I have found (at least here is Australia) is this one:
Sets really quickly and is very strong. The Zap-A-Gap just go consigned to the "terrain & basing" glue shelf...

sgaff24

Post by sgaff24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:38 am

PeteDG wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 am
The best glue I have found (at least here is Australia) is this one:
Sets really quickly and is very strong. The Zap-A-Gap just go consigned to the "terrain & basing" glue shelf...
That's the stuff I use, works great.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 am

That it does!