Choosing colour schemes

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
Trystero

Re: Choosing colour schemes

Post by Trystero » Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 am

Nice find with that video Megagribix, I'll have to check out the rest of his vids, thanks for that :)

I'm used to painting up 40k and fantasy so it's very much a one-uniform-for-all sort of thing. It doesn't really leave too much room for creativity when compared to a skirmish-style gang of misfits. Although, one of my friends did inherit a bunch of dark eldar reavers and ravagers that his friend's girlfriend had painted with a variety of glitter paints...

When the faction models are all together like that I can see what you're talking about Pete and Seb. Especially with the turquoise on the Servants, it's quite subtle but does tie them all together. I appreciate you've both got a lot on your hands at the moment, so thank you for taking time out to post in this topic.

I suppose with a faction like the Guild, with lots of disparate models and then some that almost have their own subfactions (Monkey King's group for example), you could use the triad colour wheel method? You could pick one main colour to tie together the faction as a whole while simultaneously tying together the subfactions with another colour that is part of the triad and just make sure you don't use that colour on other non-subfaction models?

Skullbokks

Post by Skullbokks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:42 am

Hi Trystero I love your idea of using a triad across the Guild and making sub-factions for them.

One thing I would say is that for a triad to work as a balanced colour scheme I believe (and some please correct me as I am by no means a colour theory expert) you need all three colours in there.

So I was thinking of an adaption of your thought. What about turning the triad for each sub-faction. Eg. your first sub-faction has a saturated red as it's main colour, used in much the same was as has been ably shown by Seb and Pete, but has flashes of yellow and blue, then your second sub-faction would have a main colour of blue and now only flashes of red and yellow.

This plan may limit you to three sub-factions though, but you may be able to play with the tones to still differentiate them enough to get more options, or play with the amounts of secondary colours.

The main idea being that should you decide to mix your sub-factions from the guild they would all have the same three colours present, and still tie together as I think you were hoping.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:28 am

Interestingly (and a bit of a sneaky preview for you) - the Guild of Harmony is actually rather likely to have three sub-factions! I'm working on the rules at the moment but whilst operating as a group overall the three factions will also determine who can ally with who and have a couple of other effects.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Skullbokks

Post by Skullbokks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 am

I love it when a plan comes together!

Thanks for the sneaky info. ;)

Illidari

Post by Illidari » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:45 am

You can find info about it in the internet pretty easily, but also you should try something yourself and ask friends what they think about the colour scheme.
You can go hard or you can go home!
That's my life moto!