Choosing colour schemes

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
Trystero

Choosing colour schemes

Post by Trystero » Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 am

Hi all,

It might be a little premature, but I like to plan my miniatures ahead of time; has anyone decided on what colour schemes they will be painting their teams in?

I have no eye for colour coordination (every time I leave the house it's a new crime against fashion), so I usually copy other people's paint schemes, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any tips or decent online guides to planning your own colour scheme for miniatures. Either for individuals or to tie together a groups of models with a common colour?

Megagribix

Re: Choosing colour schemes

Post by Megagribix » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm

There's a ton of info out there on colour theory. I'd say just keep it simple with 2 main complementary colours, or 3 in a triad. Complementary being opposite sides of the colour wheel, triad being 3 in a triangle on the wheel. Google adobe color wheel, there's a pretty cool tool there that can help choose colours.

Do you have a starting point? Favourite colour? Drab or bright scheme? Which faction?

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Tue May 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Megagribix, I'll check out that adobe colour wheel, that sounds like a great starting point!

I didn't necessarily mean for my personal gangs specifically, but I can tell there'll be blue somewhere in mine for sure - the hard part is going to be refraining from putting blue in each of my factions haha.

I just wanted to get a general discussion going. It was mainly to help people out there who are starting a miniatures game for the first time and might benefit from the knowledge of more experienced gamers in where to start. I also wanted to see if other people had decided on their colour schemes, why and how they chose them, that sort of thing.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 pm

It's a tricky one. I tend to have a colour pallet for a force and keep one highlight colour consistent. My Servants for demo games use the GW "Sotek Green" as the key colour (the old Hawk Turquoise) and the Dickensians use "Elysian Green" (the old Cammo Green I think).
Here's a pic of some Urkin I did:
You can see there are a few colours used throughout them but they have a kind of consistency as they all have that green present.
Whilst not strictly to forum rules (this is a Twisted bit - hey - but I'm allowed to break 'em :lol: ) but pertinent to the discussion here's a Maifaux Crew I did a few years back.
You can see they have a fairly soft, earthy pallet overall but all use a deep red as a highlight colour which then unites them as a force.
Hope that helps!
Cheers
Pete
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Nice! I like how with the malifaux guys the red isn't the main colour, but rather you've made it more like a random item on each.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Yeah - it links them but doesn't "define" the colour scheme. Kinda like a gang's Colours I guess.

Artificial Soul

Post by Artificial Soul » Thu May 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Plans for urkin are going to be earthy browns, off whites and drab sort of colours with splashes of colour here and there. Unsure on the leadership but I suspect they'll have a bit more colour.

I'm really unsure on the gentlefolk though- bare metal doesn't feel 'right' to me, but perhaps painting them as if they're made of ceramics, or enameled metal could be the order of the day. Ruddy brass perhaps?

Might try limiting the palette and running a gamut-inspired scheme.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
I have a blog! https://peddlerofmagic.wordpress.com/ and a FB page for painting! https://www.facebook.com/PeddlerofMagic/

Megagribix

Post by Megagribix » Thu May 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Mini paint jobs looking excellent Pete!

This dude has some excellent videos. This one has some good tips for colour cohesion and placement...and it has a Nancy mini in it to add to the relevency!

https://youtu.be/VnmjcoILc3M

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 am

That is a cool video! I do like that Nancy.

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Interesting discussion, guys!

I agree with the idea of picking a bright (saturated) colour or two as your main foundation, which then allows you to be a lot more flexible with the muted tones. With a couple of core 'standout' colours, you can have a lot of variation in all the other colours on the minis in a Faction and still maintain a coherent look.

The trick is not to introduce too many saturated colours: you want to pick 1 or 2 strong, bright colours, and then keep everything else quite muted as 'support'.

I thought it might be interesting to show you some examples of how we've done this with the Twisted minis we've painted so far :mrgreen:

Check out the pics below:

For the Servants of the Engine minis, you'll see that we have chosen purple-magenta tones as the main 'saturated' colour on the minis, with flashes of bright turquoise as a second saturated colour (also representing the power of the Engine!). You can see that even though we have used varied this purple-magenta tone a lot from mini to mini, they still hang together as a whole. This is also true for all the other colours used: there is a wide variety of browns, greys, and creams used across the miniatures, but because we have that purple-magenta and the turquoise flashes, it makes everything remain visually coherent.

Now look at the Dickensians: for them, we've chosen a palette of greens ranging from forest-ish green to quite bright jade green, offset by bright flashes of saturated scarlet red. By grounding all the miniatures with these two colours to make them hang together as a Faction, we were then free to use all sorts of varying browns, greys, flesh tones etc varying from miniature to miniature without having to worry about breaking the overall 'team' appearance.