Urkin on display base project

Show off your painted Twisted miniatures here along with conversions and other stuff
Megagribix

Urkin on display base project

Post by Megagribix » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi,

I've started a display base for an Urkin. My initial sketch was pretty simple, the backdrop is a building with iron paneling and a wooden door slightly ajar with a hand reaching out. The urkin is running away across cobblestones covered with refuse.

Just playing around with some materials on the base so far - cork, balsa, plastic and juweela bricks.

Gonzoangel

Re: Urkin on display base project

Post by Gonzoangel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Nice start, should be interesting.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:54 am

Oh cool! I like the base so far and Porker is a cracker of a mini!
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:03 am

It'll be great to see another painted version of the urkin Porker! Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with :D Have you got some cool ideas for hte colours?

Base is looking great: nice ideas, sounds very evocative. Remember to try to break the 90 degree right-angles on the base to stop it looking too 'square' and artificial. If you try to offset things at about 30 degrees (compared to the square edges of the base) it can help to create a more natural flow and feeling to the environment you create :)

Megagribix

Post by Megagribix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Oh man, I really wish I'd known about avoiding 90 degree right-angles before starting. I've now put the door in off it's hinges on an angle and added some other elements at different angles.

Since the last post I've done the following:
* glued down bricks and some other random elements
* scuffed up the door frame
* added micro beads to represent rivets
* filled gaps with green stuff

Seb - as for colours it's tough trying to figure out a scheme. I'm toying with:
Purple, lime green, orange (although I've found the pro painted DG porker pic which looks to be exactly purple/green/orange)
Purple, green, grey

I'm really suffering from analysis paralysis playing with these colour wheels! Any tips there?

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm

That is a really nice base!
I'd tend to add hints of greys in all the colours for urkin. I did it for an Eldar Farseer I painted ages ago and it worked a treat. Just a little. You still have the bright colours but they are softened just a touch.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches