The Marvellous Averager

Here we ponder the Fascinating Features, Dr Disraeli's Delights and anything rules related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Trystero

The Marvellous Averager

Post by Trystero » Tue May 09, 2017 11:56 am

This item seems super powerful if I'm understanding it correctly. Does this mean that a high enough alchemancy level alchemancer can use this item (for no action cost to activate it) to guarantee getting an invocation off with zero risk? For example, Nancy with Elemental Explosion?

PeteDG

Re: The Marvellous Averager

Post by PeteDG » Tue May 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Yes. It can be used that way - but only the once.
That's a good use for it :D
Remember delights are expended when used.
"E'es not dyin' less I kills 'im!" - Bill Psyches

SebDG

Post by SebDG » Tue May 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Clever thinking, Trystero!

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue May 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Also bear in mind she'll use up both Actions calling the Invocation and lots of Essences.
It's a wise use of the Averager but you might want to consider whether getting this one Invocation off for sure is better value tactically than getting a 2 point Delight and a 1 point Delight that will benefit two Characters.
The Averager will virtually guarantee success in most "Difficulty" based tests so it is one of the handier Delights.

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Tue May 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Haha thanks Seb :)

Sure, I could split the item cost over two characters Pete, atm though I'm liking the idea of playing a couple of uber characters and mostly Urkin heavy lists; the whfb skaven player in me loves the idea of swarming the enemy with lots of models kept cheap but backed by a couple of real monsters :D

I guess I was also considering the Nancy + TMA + EE
combo because even just the threat of it means your opponent has to adjust the way they play to ensure they don't clump up their models, that and forcing them to prioritise taking out that alchemancer asap. Any way that you can force your opponent's hand or playstyle is a bonus I reckon :) But yeah you could do the same with other invocations of course.

Alternatively you could use it to make a jump to get away from a sticky situation - I'd prefer to keep it for the invocation, but if was that or lose the model, I'd use the item for the jump.

So this next question should probably be in another section; but if you've got an opposed roll, does the defender get to see what the attacker's roll result is before rolling or are they both rolled at the exact same time? Because this item would be very valuable here if it's a situation you absolutely can't risk losing - provided you knew that a roll of 11 was sufficient to win the opposed roll.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 pm

That's an interesting question.
I guess I always assumed that you should roll at roughly the same time but it also feels quite natural to roll the attack and then roll the Defence separately. My feeling is that rolls should be as simultaneous as possible.
Maybe the wording of the Averager could be tightened up to read before ANY dice is rolled? That way if you intend to use it in a combat you need to declare it before the attack is rolled.

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Wed May 10, 2017 12:19 am

I do like that idea, unless, of course, the original intention was to not have it that way! :)
Nil nos tremefacit.

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed May 10, 2017 5:34 am

Alright then. Lets make the "Declare before ANY dice is rolled" a ruling then.

Trystero

Post by Trystero » Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 am

I agree, I think it's fairer that way, otherwise it's like a get out of jail free card in an opposing roll off

PeteDG

Post by PeteDG » Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 am

pdf rules updated :-) Now v 1.1